Pages

Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Paperwork


Guess who just spent 3 hours trying to figure out where she went wrong in her record-keeping?

Me!!

The amount of cash I should have according to the records I kept of revenue and expenditures didn't quite match up to the amount of cash I actually have. Lovely.

I had to go through aaaaall of my receipts from the past 5 months and recalculate all of my expenses and it still didn't match up. Which wouldn't be a problem except I didn't really do a good job of setting up my spreadsheets to track expenses by individual receipts. Makes it kind of hard to reconcile things.

Needless to say, my records for 2010 are no immaculate, but it seems I went wrong somewhere in 2009 and I suspect it has something to do with me paying cash for something and losing the receipt.

Lesson number 1: ALWAYS pay for things with my credit card so I can follow a paper trail. And earn rewards. ;-)

Lesson number 2: Keep records by individual receipt (instead of just throwing the numbers from each expense category into the corresponding month) on an Excel spreadsheet that ties to my cash flow statement so I can more easily reconcile my expenses each month.

I have not yet posted new stuff on Etsy like I said I would last week. Nor am I anywhere near finishing my Schedule C for my 2009 taxes. And neither of those things will happen tomorrow because a) It's 12:30pm and I need to be up in 6 hours for work, which means I will be a bit of a zombie tomorrow, and b) I'm going to see this guy at Lafayette College tomorrow night!


Neil deGrasse Tyson is giving a public lecture a mere 10 minutes from my house!!! How freaking exciting is that?!?! Totally takes precedence over doing my taxes. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...