Pages

Thursday, December 8, 2011

Just One Person

The Muppets has been out for a couple of weeks now, but after reading some articles about it online yesterday, I found myself browsing YouTube and found some amazing, incredibly moving stuff from Jim Henson's memorial service, including:

-Big Bird singing "It's Not Easy Being Green":



(I got a little teary-eyed on this one, especially at the end.)

-Frank Oz giving a eulogy:



(I laughed an awful lot, but started crying a bit at the end.)

And this performance of the song "Just One Person":



(When the performers and their Muppets start pouring onto the stage after the first few verses I lost it. Totally. And. Completely. Lost. It.)

Mind you, all of this crying happened at my desk at work, during my lunch hour.  Thank goodness I have my own office, with a door that closes, or I'd have completely humiliated myself. 

It's really kind of ridiculous how I can still find myself grieving the death of someone I've never met, someone who died when I was only 7 years old, nearly 22 years ago.  But the fact of the matter is that I grew up on Jim Henson's work (most notably Fraggle Rock), and it played a significant role in shaping my view of the world... and considering the following quote, I suppose that isn't such a bad thing!

When I was young, my ambition was to be one of the people who made a difference in this world. My hope is to leave the world a little bit better for my having been here. -Jim Henson


3 comments:

  1. Awww..I also got all teary watching those videos (especially the first one). Beautiful post, sweetie. Have a relaxing weekend. Muah

    ReplyDelete
  2. my goodness that Big Bird video was so sad. Mr. Henson most definitely made the world a better place.

    ReplyDelete
  3. That IS a face in the tree! Kudos to you for pointing it out :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...