Pages

Friday, February 3, 2012

Hammers and Strings

I could be mistaken about this, but I'm pretty sure the last concert I went to was Harvey Danger's final show on the east coast at The Bell House, back in August of 2009.  That's too long to go without seeing any of my favorite bands.  So needless today, I am SUPER excited to be seeing Jack's Mannequin tomorrow night. 

I'm also super ashamed that their latest album, People and Things, has been out for more than 3 months and I still haven't bought it.  Soon though.  Maybe at the show tomorrow?

Anyway, here are a few of my favorite songs from the first two albums, Everything in Transit and The Glass Passenger:

 

I still remember the first time I heard the song "Konstantine" by Andrew McMahon's other band, Something Corporate, back during my freshman year of college.  It was basically love at first listen.  I'm a sucker for anything that's heavy on the piano, I think partly because I wish I were a better pianist myself.  I took lessons for a few years in middle school, but the clarinet was always more my focus, so I never got particularly good at the piano.  That doesn't stop me from rocking out to Cole Porter songs in the privacy of my own home on a fairly regular basis, but don't expect to see me giving any public concerts in the near future. ;-)

I'm a big fan of Andrew McMahon for more than just his music.  After he was diagnosed with leukemia in 2005, he started the Dear Jack Foundation.  The fact that he not only maintained such a positive attitude during his illness, but took this incredibly negative thing that happened to him and used his influence to make something good come of it, makes me admire him that much more.  In fact, the Dear Jack Foundations is one of the groups I donate to (along with Kiva) with some of the profits I make from Mischievous Kitty Jewelry.  (Speaking of which, I still need to do my 2011 taxes, and I haven't made my 2011 donations yet.  I need to get on that!) 


P.S. I have to thank Amber, aka The Girly Bird, because if it wasn't for her blog I wouldn't know about Grooveshark.  I think I am now addicted.  Expect more music on my blog from now on. ;-)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...